Thank you for your interest in applying for the social work major. To complete the application process, please follow the instructions outlined below.
Please note: You need to be admitted to the University of Kentucky and a Pre-Social Work major prior to filing this application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
For Fall semester: August 1
For Spring semester: December 1
The Undergraduate Program Director and the Admissions Committee make admission decisions. You will be notified of the status of your application before the opening of the term for which you have applied.
To be eligible to apply for the BASW program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 or higher on all college work
- A grade of B or better in both SW 124 (or equivalent) and SW 222 (or equivalent), or a grade of B or better in SW 322 (or equivalent)
- A passing grade in PSY 100, SOC 101, BIO 103, and PS 101
- The application requires that you complete the application form in its entirety and submit a written essay.
Instructions for the essay: in 500-750 words, complete the following:
- Elaborate on one thing that you learned in your introductory social work class that is essential to remember as a professional social worker; include an explanation of your topic or idea.
- Elaborate on why you consider it to be a priority in social work.
Your essay will be evaluated on:
- The degree to which your essay demonstrates an understanding of social work.
- Your ability to effectively communicate your ideas through writing.
- Appropriate use of APA style, including formatting and citations
Please Note: It is recommended that you use spell check and proofread your essay prior to submitting the application.