The University of Kentucky College of Social Work (CoSW) is dedicated to ensuring our students are ready for social work practice upon graduation. For most students, this will include obtaining a social work license. We, as faculty and staff, take serious the responsibility to prepare students for professional social work licensure.
Our Licensing Preparation Initiative (LPI) does just that.
LPI is a strategic CoSW initiative designed to ensure that our graduates receive the knowledge necessary to prepare for the licensing exam AND understand laws and regulations governing social work practice. This initiative has had a profound impact on our students. But, don’t take our word for it – the numbers speak for themselves:
- #1 in Kentucky in undergraduate licensing pass rates for first time test-takers.
- #1 in Kentucky in graduate licensing pass rates for first time test-takers.
- #1 in Kentucky in clinical licensing pass rates for first time test-takers.
CoSW students and alumni score 12.6 points ABOVE the national average for all three exams.
How do we do it? It’s the UK Difference.
- Structured student orientations to licensing processes.
- Classes that include embedded activities to prepare students for taking licensing exams.
- Preparatory workshops led by national experts on social work licensing.
- First time test takers who pass the licensing exam before or immediately following graduation enter a drawing for the exam cost to be reimbursed.
No matter where you live or plan to practice, we will prepare you for licensing!
Please note that licensing laws are different in each state. You will need to check regulatory requirements in your state.
For more information on our program’s SARA compliance please see here.
Ranking above are based on most recent available data (1.3.20)