Development: Gifts, Funds, and Bequests

How to Make a Gift to the College of Social Work

There are many ways to make a charitable contribution to the College of Social
Work at the University of Kentucky. A donor can use any of the gift mechanisms
listed below to support the College of Social Work’s students, faculty, or educational
programs. Sarah Fitzgerald, will work personally with
you, the donor, making certain your gift goes to support your area of interest
in social work education. For assistance with making a gift, contact

Sarah Fitzgerald, Office of Development, 859-257-1345. Your consideration and support are
greatly appreciated.


For all concerned, an outright gift of cash is certainly the simplest method
of giving. It is not subject to gift or estate taxes, and you can deduct the
gift amount on your federal income tax return, up to 50 percent of your adjusted
gross income. Should the gift total exceed the gift ceiling for one year, you
can carry over the remaining deduction to succeeding tax years until it’s exhausted,
or for up to five years, whichever comes first. So with careful planning, nearly
every outright gift to the College of Social Work can be fully deducted. If
writing a check, make it payable to the College of Social Work, University of
Kentucky and mail to the following address:

College of Social Work
University of Kentucky
619 Patterson Office Tower

Lexington, KY 40506-0027

Credit Card:

Gifts may also be made by credit card. All the College needs is 1) the type
of card; 2) credit card number; 3) name listed on card; 4) expiration date;
and 5) amount of gift you’d like to give. You may call us with this information
(859-257-6649) or, instead, choose to make a gift online using the following

Gifts of Securities:

Giving appreciated stocks or bonds is a superb way to show support for the
College’s programs. With certain limitations, you can deduct the full fair market
value of long-term appreciated securities — that is, securities you have owned
a certain amount of time (the time period varies depending on when you obtained
the asset) and that have increased in value. Thus, you can give away appreciated
property and usually avoid the tax on the gain. If you would like to make a
gift of securities, just have your broker call 859-257-6649 to arrange for an
electronic transfer. Be certain to notify the College that a transfer is being
made because most brokers will not release the name of the donor and require
that you personally notify the College of your gift.

Planned Giving:

Traditionally, many potential donors have assumed that the only possible gift
is one made outright. Although we welcome and encourage outright gifts, there
are also other ways to support the College’s programs financially, through what
is known as planned giving. Gifts may be made during your lifetime or under
your Will. They may consist of cash, securities, personal property or real estate.
There are even ways you can give something to the College of Social Work —
real estate, for instance — yet still retain the right to use it. A gift to
Social Work that is part of a comprehensive financial plan provides a way to
complete a lifetime of giving or to make a significant gift that was not possible
at an earlier stage of life. Sound planning can provide financial security for
your family as well as ensure the continuation of UK College of Social Work
programs. For more information on planned giving options, contact the College
of Social Work Development Office
, call 859-257-6649, or you
may visit the University of Kentucky Office of Development’s web site.

Last Will and Testament:

One of the easiest and most common ways for you to make a gift to the College
is through a bequest. A bequest is a provision in your last will and testament
naming a person or organization to receive a particular item of real or personal
property, a sum of money, or a percentage of your estate. The tax laws encourage
bequests; consequently, a bequest is an excellent way to support the College’s
programs while realizing potentially significant tax advantages.

Life Insurance:

Life insurance is often the single most valuable asset in an estate. You may
want to consider transferring ownership or naming the UK College of Social Work
as partial or full beneficiary of your life insurance. Many friends have found
this to be a practical and inexpensive way to support our programs, with no
immediate out-of-pocket costs and proceeds paid free of estate and inheritance

Gifts of Property:

Tangible Personal Property – This includes such items as works of art, antiques,
books, gems and the like.

Intangible Personal Property – You may also make gifts of personal property
that cannot be seen or touched. Such property is called “intangible”
and it includes copyrights, securities, patents, contracts, promissory notes,
royalties, trademarks and the like.

Real Estate – Almost any type of real property — a personal residence, a farm,
a vacation home, a commercial building, or an undeveloped parcel of land —
can be the subject of a gift. Gifts of real estate can be made either outright
or through your estate plan.

Life Estate – The donor gives the College of Social Work interest in property
for life. Example: a donor may give her/his home, farm or vacation property
to the College but keep the right to occupy the residence for his/her lifetime.
You may have heard this gift referred to as a Retained Life Estate.

Life Income Gifts:

As contradictory as it may seem, life income gifts allow you to give and receive
at the same time. Such a gift can often make it possible for you to give what
you would like to give, rather than what you feel you can afford, because you
actually receive income from the gift. Life income gifts include annuity trusts
and unitrusts.

Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust – You can create a charitable remainder
annuity trust by irrevocably transferring cash, securities or property to a
trust for the College’s benefit. In exchange, you and/or your designated beneficiaries
will receive a fixed dollar amount, at least annually, for life or for a fixed
term up to 20 years). At your death, the death of your beneficiaries or the
end of the term, the trust terminates and the assets are transferred to the

Charitable Remainder Unitrust – A charitable remainder unitrust is a trust
fund established when you transfer assets to a trustee for the College’s benefit.
As with other life income plans, you retain an income interest in the property
and continue to receive the income from it for as long as you live, for your
lifetime and that of another beneficiary, or for a fixed term up to 20 years.
Where a charitable remainder annuity trust provides a fixed amount of income
determined at the creation of the trust, the unitrust pays a percentage of the
trust assets, as revalued annually.

Charitable Lead Trust – Offer a way for you to support the College’s programs
and transfer substantial assets to the beneficiaries (children or grandchildren,
for instance) with the potential for significantly lowered gift and estate taxes.
With a charitable lead trust, you transfer property — such as real estate,
securities, bonds, partnership interests, oil and gas properties and the like
— to a trust. The trust pays an annual amount (fixed or percentage) to the
College of Social Work for a specified period. After this time, the property
returns to you or a non-charitable beneficiary — usually a family member in
the next or a succeeding generation.

List of funds to which you can

Create a Lasting Memorial

Private giving is essential to the College. But did you know that you may specify where your gift will go so that it supports your interests? Following is a list of established funds in the College of Social Work. Every dollar donated to these funds is used for the purposes specified. If you would like more information on establishing an endowed scholarship, professorship or chair in your name, or the name of a loved one, contact

Sarah Fitzgerald, Office of Development, 859-257-1345.

  • The H. Otto Kaak Chair in Early Childhood Mental Health supports translational research addressing the complex biopsychosocial problems plaguing our youngest citizens and enhances efforts in developing and evaluating programs to address the needs of disadvantaged children across the country. The Chair is named in honor of Dr. Otto Kaak, a 35 year professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the UK College of Medicine with a joint faculty appointment in the College of Social Work, and one of the principal investigators at the Center on Trauma and Children (CTAC) Annual Report

  • The Kay Seeley Hoffman Endowment recognizes the many accomplishments of Dean Hoffman during her 11-year tenure as dean of the College of Social Work. The endowment recognizes the impact she has had on the College, the institution and in the field of social work via her service at UK and various state, national and international organizations. For more information about the Hoffman Endowment, visit

  • The Joanne I. Bell Professorship in Critical Thinking and Social Policy Analysis, honoring Associate Professor Emeritus Bell, gives continued substance and voice to her many contributions to the College of Social Work and to the profession — especially in the areas of policy analysis and development.
  • Associate Professor Emeritus Dr. Richard Brautigam maintains a fierce commitment to the preservation of individual rights and liberties for all people of this country. The Richard K. Brautigam Professorship in Criminal, Juvenile and Social Justice, created in Dr. Brautigam’s honor, is dedicated to the enhancement of social work education in the often-underserved areas of juvenile, criminal and social justice.
  • The Buckhorn Professorship in Child Welfare and Children’s Mental Health is sponsored by the Buckhorn Children’s Foundation. Buckhorn has an enduring history of providing quality services to troubled children and their families. The holder of the Buckhorn Professorship provides leadership in the development and operation of an Interdisciplinary Research Center on Families, Children and Youth and will further develop partnerships with state and private agencies serving children and families.

  • The Dorothy A. Miller Endowed Professorship in Social Work Education was established in Professor Miller’s memory by her family, colleagues, and friends. This Professorship focuses its efforts on the advancement of research and knowledge in social work education.
  • The William H. Otis & Marquita Sivis Otis Professorship in Gerontology and Intergenerational Social Work will support research, teaching, policy development, and practice dedicated to improving our understanding of how best to meet the needs of an aging population. This fund was created by associate professor, Dr. Melanie Otis, in honor of her parents. For more information about the Otis Professorship, visit

  • The Vernon R. Wiehe Endowed Professorship in Family Violence, named in honor of Professor Emeritus Wiehe, permanently establishes support for the continuation of Dr. Wiehe’s vital work — examining the causes of and proposing solutions to family violence and sibling abuse. It is awarded annually to a professor engaged in research to further the knowledge base in family violence.

  • The Constance Wilson Endowed Professorship in Mental Health was established by colleagues and friends to memorialize Professor Emeritus Connie Wilson’s many contributions to the College and state of Kentucky. It will allow an established researcher and teacher to further her pioneering work in the field of mental health.

  • The Alumni Scholarship Fund was created by the College Alumni Association to aid “non-traditional” students, 30 years of age or older, returning to college and a social work career.

  • John Henry and Bessie P. Ballantine Endowed Fund honors the late associate professor John R. Ballantine’s parents who were dedicated to public service and rural social issues. May be given annually as a scholarship or the funds may be used at the Dean’s discretion to best serve the College.
  • Jaishree Bansal Endowed Memorial Fund was established in honor of the late student records staff member, Jaishree Bansal, who graciously and gently assisted so many students. Given annually to a non-resident or international student, BASW or MSW.
  • The Beaven-Eidetik Cooperative Education Fellowship in Developmental Disabilities and Mental Retardation was initiated thanks to the benevolence of alumnus William Beaven (MSW 1975) of Uniontown, KY and his company, Eidetik, Inc. Because of their generosity, graduate students in the College have their first cooperative education opportunity, providing an outstanding learning environment for students to work with people having developmental disabilities and mental retardation.
  • The Beaven-Eidetik Doctoral Research Fellowship is given annually to a doctoral student in the College, who is also a native Kentuckian, engaged in research to further the knowledge base in developmental disabilities/mental retardation or human services delivery.

  • The Evelyn J. Black Endowed Memorial Scholarship, honoring the late Assistant Professor Evelyn J. Black, was established by her church, friends, and alumni. Given to a minority student demonstrating financial need and good academic potential.
  • The Crowe-Renaker Scholarship in Social Work is awarded annually to a social work student who is also a resident of Virginia Place in Lexington, KY. Created in honor of the Crowe-Renaker families by alumnae Harvey Crowe (BASW 1959) and Donald Crowe.

  • The Wrenn Margaret Elam & Evelyn J. Black Scholarship in Children’s Mental Health is awarded to a social work student who plans to work in an educational or mental health setting with children, or is interested in the study of the unique mental health needs of children. The fund was established by graduate Marne Elam (BASW 1973) in honor of her daughter, Wrenn, and the late professor Evelyn Black.
  • The Dorothy A. Miller Endowed Memorial Scholarship, honoring the late Professor Emeritus Dorothy Miller, is given to a graduate student demonstrating scholarly excellence and with a commitment to the field of mental health. Professor Miller was very influential in the formation of the College and provided great service to students and colleagues.
  • ResCare, Inc. strives to recruit and retain high quality personnel, preferably with social work backgrounds, to deliver services to Kentucky’s disadvantaged youth and persons with mental retardation. To address this goal, they established the ResCare Scholars program in the College, offering financial assistance to exceptional students dedicated to the fields of mental retardation, developmental disabilities, or at-risk youth.
  • The Irma Sarett Rosenstein Lecture Series on Early Childhood Interventions is designed to bring nationally known speakers to the University of Kentucky. Lecture topics include child and family welfare issues of significance to our community, state, and society as a whole. This prestigious annual lecture is made possible by a generous gift from Irma & Irving Rosenstein. Ms. Rosenstein, a social worker, advocate, teacher, and leader was inducted into the College of Social Work Hall of Fame in April 2001.
  • The Claude I. & Helen May Sivis Scholarship in Rural Intergenerational Social Work is awarded to social work students who demonstrate financial need and exhibit commitment to enhancing the quality of life for those persons living in southeastern, southern, or eastern Kentucky. This scholarship was established by Dr. Melanie Otis in honor of her grandparents and in recognition of their commitment to family, community, and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

  • The Martin Booth and Patsy Dills Tracy Scholarship is for students demonstrating financial need and residing in a rural area of the state of Kentucky with a county population of less than 100,000 people. Dr. Martin Tracy, emeriti faculty and associate dean for research, and his wife, Dr. Patsy Tracy bequeathed a generous amount to the College for an endowment to meet the needs of future generations of social work students.
  • Creating a permanent home for the College of Social Work is a major priority. We need one or two bighearted donors to endow the Building Fund. Donations to this fund will go toward the renovation of an existing building on campus, or the birth of an entirely new structure. This is a great opportunity to name the College after yourself or a loved one, creating a lasting memorial.
  • The College of Social Work Advancement Fund is used for the most pressing needs of the College and provides Dean Kay Hoffman with flexibility in a tight budget environment. Specific uses include scholarships, computers, conferences, lecture series, and alumni and development activities.
  • Our Student Emergency Aid Fund provides students with emergency grants and loans. These funds are used for medical expenses, rent, tuition, car repairs, and small stipends.

For more information about giving opportunities at the University of Kentucky,
please visit the Office of Development’s
web site