To be eligible to apply:
Applicant must have received, or will be receiving, their bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by June in the calendar year in which their application is being reviewed by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) for consideration to enter the Army-University of Kentucky (UK) Master of Social Work Program (MSW). Applicants must have a 3.0 overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 grading scale. In addition, all applicants must take the must submit a current official copy of their scores from the General Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Applicants must score 290 or higher (calculated based upon a combination of their verbal and quantitative sections results only) on the GRE, and scores cannot be older than five years from the projected start date of the program.
The application process:
Applicants must contact an Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Health Care Recruiter (HCR) to initiate the application process. Use the following link to search for a HCR by zip code location: http://www.goarmy.com. Select “Medical (AMEDD)” on the My interest drop down menu, and enter the location zip code into the search bar.
Applicants for the program will undergo a double selection process. Applicants must first be selected for long-term health education in the Army Master of Social Work Program by the Headquarters, USAREC accession board, followed by admission selection by the University of Kentucky Graduate School and College of Social Work. Your local AMEDD HCR will help you assemble your USAREC application that will be reviewed by a selection board on or about the first week of February each calendar year.
Applicants will be notified of the accession board results by their HCR. Following this notification, applicants must apply to the UK Office of Admission. The UK will inform applicants of their acceptance status by a letter of acceptance from the UK Office of Admissions.
All USAREC applications for long-term health education must be submitted through AMEDD HCR. Applicants will not submit applications directly to University of Kentucky MSW Program at JBSA Fort Sam Houston, TX.
Applying to the University of Kentucky
All applications for graduate study at the University of Kentucky (UK) are submitted online. UK is a part of the Hobsons Apply Yourself Application Network, a system used by over 700 colleges and universities that provides an opportunity to submit all Graduate School and program requirements in one application including letters of recommendation.
The first step of the process is to set up a new account and establish a user name and password. Do not lose this information because you will need it if you wish to return to continue an unfinished application or to review a completed application.
Access the Graduate School Application at: http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/ProspectiveStudents/Admission.html
Program Information: After completing the personal information part of the application, go to plan of study
- From the dropdown menu titled: Admission Category, select “Masters”
- From the dropdown menu titled: Program, select “Social work-Clinical social work-Ft Sam Houston-pre-selected applicants only”
- From the dropdown menu titled Intended Start Date, select “Spring 2018” “February 2018”
To complete the application, applicant will need to gather several pieces of information including the following:
Transcripts: You will be asked to upload copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended and in the case of domestic students, to self-report cumulative GPA’s for each institution. If you are offered admission and decide to enroll you will then be required to submit official transcripts to the Graduate School.
Letters of Recommendation
The MSW Program at the UK requires applications to provide three references. These references must be obtained from individuals in the following categories:
- University Professor (at least one from this category)
- Professional Social Worker/Behavioral Health Professionals
- Senior Noncommissioned officers/ Sr. leaders in supervisory channel
Please exclude personal, pastoral and relative references. If graduated within the past 5 years, you must provide at least one academic reference. As part of the online application you will be asked to supply email contact information for your three references. Once your application has been submitted, the system will contact each person identified and their recommendations will be submitted directly to UK. Applicant can check back into their application at any time to see who has submitted a recommendation.
Writing Sample (uploaded electronic document)
In 250 words or less, describe a situation in which you had to determine the correct action to take after recognizing that you had competing personal or professional obligations to uphold. Identify and define the competing obligations that made this an ethical dilemma, what was the situation, who or what were the parties involved, what values did you rely upon to make your decision, and how was the dilemma resolved. Explain how this outcome has affected you and identify any lessons you learned.
Personal Statement Autobiography (uploaded electronic document)
Applicant’s Autobiography should be approximately 4 pages in length, double-spaced, and the following topics must be addressed within the narrative:
- Motivation for social work as a profession. State your reasons for wanting to pursue an MSW degree. Why are you applying to the Army-UK College of Social Work Program? What are your military social work career goals?
- Personal life experiences and relevant events: Briefly describe your personal history as it relates to your interest in the profession of social work. What do you consider to be your particular strengths, skills, and abilities that will contribute to your success in the field?
- Capacities for professional social work education: Briefly describe your professional, volunteer and/or educational history as it relates to your capacity for success in graduate study in the field of social work. What characteristics, circumstances, or challenges could serve to enhance or limit your capacity to pursue graduate level education in the field of social work.
Personal Resume (uploaded electronic document)
Please submit a copy of your resume using the attached format.
Criteria Used by the Admissions Committee:
- Undergraduate GPA
- Eighteen undergraduate semester hours of behavioral/social science
- Professional Experience/Demonstrated Commitment to Social Work
- Expressed commitment to upholding values of the social work profession
- Reasoning and Writing Ability
- Resume’ Factors/Autobiography Considerations
- Alternative Measures for Academic Promise(if applicable)
If you have problems with the application process, contact The University of Kentucky College of Social Work Graduate Advisor, Steven Adkins at email@example.com , (859) 257-1971