To be eligible to apply:
Applicant must have received, or will be receiving, their bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by June in the calendar year in which their application is being reviewed by the Army National Guard (ARNG) Selection Board for consideration to enter the Army-University of Kentucky (UK) Master of Social Work Program (MSW). Applicants must have a 3.0 overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 grading scale. In addition, all applicants must take the must submit a current official copy of their scores from the General Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Applicants must score 290 or higher (calculated based upon a combination of their verbal and quantitative sections results only) on the GRE, and scores cannot be older than five years from the projected start date of the program.
The application process:
Army National Guard applicants should contact CPT Eric L. Dier, MS at (703) 607-8453, ext. 7-8453 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Applicants for the program will undergo a double selection process. Applicants must first be approved for admission consideration by the Army-UK MSW Program at the Army Medical Department Center and School Healthcare Resiliency Center of Excellence (AMEDDC&S, HRCoE) prior to submitting their application for admission via the UK online application submission website. Potential applicants must submit a copy of their official undergraduate transcripts that reflects that the applicant has completed 18 semester hours of social and/or behavioral science coursework. In addition, the applicant should provide copies of their GRE scores and their personal autobiography statement (see content that must be addressed below). All application material should be sent to Army MSW Program Education Technician (Ms. Wilma Ambrose at (210-221-6887) or Wilma.J.Ambrose.email@example.com). All applicant review material must be submitted not later than 15 July.
The Army-UK MSW Program will inform applicants of their approval status within ten working days of the submission deadline. The ARNG AMEDD Personnel Manager will be immediately informed of any applicant who is not recommended to submit an online application for admission at UK. The application submission dates will be the first two weeks of August and applicants should be informed of their admission status not later than 15 September.
Once an applicant has been approved for admission by UK and the Army-UK MSW Program, the applicant will receive a conditional letter of acceptance that is pending the ARNG’s final approval. The applicant should include this letter of acceptance with their application packet which will be reviewed by the ARNG selection board in March following UK approval.
Applying to the University of Kentucky
All applications for graduate study at UK are submitted online. UK is a part of the Hobsons Apply Yourself Application Network, a system used by over 700 colleges and universities that provides an opportunity to submit all Graduate School and program requirements in one application including letters of recommendation.
The first step of the process is to set up a new account and establish a user name and password. Do not lose this information because you will need it if you wish to return to continue an unfished application or to review a completed application.
Access the Graduate School Application at: http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/ProspectiveStudents/Admission.html
Program Information: After completing the personal information part of the application, go to plan of study
- From the dropdown menu titled: Admission Category, select “Masters”
- From the dropdown menu titled: Program, select “Social work-Clinical social work-Ft Sam Houston-pre-selected applicants only”
- From the dropdown menu titled Intended Start Date, select “Spring 20XX” “February 20XX”
To complete the application, applicant will need to gather several pieces of information including the following:
Transcripts: You will be asked to upload copies of transcripts from all undergraduate education institutions attended that resulted in your conferred degree. In the case of domestic students, you will need to self-report cumulative GPA’s for each institution. If you are offered admission and decide to enroll you will then be required to submit official transcripts to the Graduate School.
Letters of Recommendation
The MSW Program at the UK requires applications to provide three references. These references must be obtained from individuals in the following categories:
- University Professor (at least one from this category)
- Professional Social Worker/Behavioral Health Professionals
- Senior Noncommissioned officers/ Sr. leaders in supervisory channel
Please exclude personal, pastoral and relative references. If graduated within the past 5 years, you must provide at least one academic reference. As part of the online application you will be asked to supply email contact information for your three references. Once your application has been submitted, the system will contact each person identified and their recommendations will be submitted directly to UK. Applicant can check back into their application at any time to see who has submitted a recommendation.
Writing Sample (uploaded electronic document)
In 250 words or less, describe a situation in which you had to determine the correct action to take after recognizing that you had competing personal or professional obligations to uphold. Identify and define the competing obligations that made this an ethical dilemma, what was the situation, who or what were the parties involved, what values did you rely upon to make your decision, and how was the dilemma resolved. Explain how this outcome has affected you and identify any lessons you learned.
Personal Statement Autobiography (uploaded electronic document)
Applicant’s Autobiography should be approximately 4 pages in length, double-spaced, and the following topics must be addressed within the narrative:
- Motivation for social work as a profession. State your reasons for wanting to pursue an MSW degree. Why are you applying to the Army-UK College of Social Work Program? What are your military social work career goals?
- Personal life experiences and relevant events: Briefly describe your personal history as it relates to your interest in the profession of social work. What do you consider to be your particular strengths, skills, and abilities that will contribute to your success in the field?
- Capacities for professional social work education: Briefly describe your professional, volunteer and/or educational history as it relates to your capacity for success in graduate study in the field of social work. What characteristics, circumstances, or challenges could serve to enhance or limit your capacity to pursue graduate level education in the field of social work.
Personal Resume (uploaded electronic document)
Please submit a copy of your resume using the attached format.
Criteria Used by the Admissions Committee:
- Undergraduate GPA
- Eighteen undergraduate semester hours of behavioral/social science
- Professional Experience/Demonstrated Commitment to Social Work
- Expressed commitment to upholding values of the social work profession
- Reasoning and Writing Ability
- Resume’ Factors/Autobiography Considerations
- Alternative Measures for Academic Promise(if applicable)
If you have problems with the application process, contact The University of Kentucky College of Social Work Graduate Advisor, Steven Adkins at firstname.lastname@example.org , (859) 257-1971