Social Work Major Change Information
Students are welcome to change their major to pre-social work or exploratory studies in social work during the specific windows set by the University. (Click here to view the Academic Calendar.)
Current UK Students: Students who plan to change their major to pre-social work or exploratory studies in social work are encouraged to contact an academic advisor in the College of Social Work. Students may change their major to pre-social work before completing pre-major requirements and are encouraged to discuss how a major change would impact their graduation plan with a social work advisor.
Public Child Welfare Certification Information (PCWCP)
The Public Child Welfare Certification Program (PCWCP) has been implemented by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services and eleven university undergraduate social work programs in order to better serve the children and families in this state.
The goal of this program is to fill the ranks of Child Welfare Workers with the most competent and well-trained workers who can provide high-quality services immediately following employment. The Cabinet has partnered with the Universities to offer Bachelor Social Work juniors and seniors their academic program in conjunction with participating in the Cabinet’s child welfare training curricula prior to graduation. These students are provided in-state tuition, a stipend and must complete a two-year employment commitment with the Cabinet upon successful completion of the program.
- Tuition (in state) paid in full for up to four semesters
- A $1300 per semester stipend for books, U.K. fees, and related travel
- Priority consideration for employment with the CHFS
- Full-time enrollment in the BASW major, or eligibility for BASW major by end of semester
- 2.5 overall GPA and a 3.0 in Social Work courses at application
- No less than three nor more than four regular semesters before graduation (after current semester)
- No criminal record which includes felony convictions
- Valid driver’s license
- Two specific child welfare courses (taken in sequence)
- Both practicum placements with the state-administered child protection agency
- Nine days of CHFS Protective Services training in last semester
- Fall and Spring weekend retreats (required attendance every term in the program)
- Maintaining entry-level or better GPAs
- Maintaining full-time enrollment each semester in the program
- Accepting a position with the Department of Community Based Services (of CHFS) within two months of graduation and remaining employed for two (2) years
- At application, you must identify 10 counties within Kentucky in which you would be willing to work. When you graduate, you must interview and accept a position in any one of those 10 counties.
- Reimbursing the program for all costs incurred on your behalf in the event of your failure to meet your contractual obligation
For more information or questions about PCWCP, please contact Erin Mayhorn – email@example.com
University Scholars Program
The University Scholars program is administered through the Graduate School and allows undergraduate students who meet criteria to take graduate courses to satisfy BASW degree requirements. UK allows students to take up to 12 hours in this program. Students will apply at the end of their junior year and must have completed 90 credit hours and all UK Core to apply as well as meet the GPA criteria of 3.8 for social work courses and a 3.5 overall UK cumulative GPA.