Applicants for CoSW Graduate Certificates are required to be either currently enrolled graduate students, or have received their degree from a regionally accredited institution.

As a reminder, our college based certificates include: Child Welfare, Clinical, Military Behavioral Health, School Social Work, and Substance Use Disorder.

How to Apply

The admissions procedure is the same for all certificates, except School Social Work, which has additional required supporting documents for admission. The Certificate Director reviews your application materials and then forwards a recommendation to the Graduate School. The Graduate School makes an independent determination based largely upon your transcripts. You will receive notification of the admissions decision from the Graduate School to the email address you provided in your application.

Please contact our Admissions Officer at if you have any questions.

Step 1

Applicants must set up an online account in ApplyYourself and establish a user name and password. Do not lose this information! You will need it if you wish to return to continue an unfinished application or review a completed application.

If you have applied to the MSW program or any other Graduate Program at the University of Kentucky: you will need to create a separate account within ApplyYourself, with a different email address than previously used, as only one application can be submitted per account.

Step 2

Choose Certificate as your Plan of Study and then find and select the certificate you are seeking.

Step 3

Upload an unofficial PDF copy of your UK transcripts if you are a current student.

If you are not a current student, please upload an unofficial PDF copy of undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all institutions attended.

Step 4

Submit your application.

The application fee for currently enrolled graduate students is waived. For all other certificate seeking students, there is a non-refundable $65.00 domestic ($75.00 international) Graduate School application processing fee required at the time of submission.

For School Social Work Certificate Seeking Applicants ONLY: there are additional steps required for the application. Please contact Janet Doss ( for detailed instructions.

Application Deadline: Rolling

Current graduate students planning to earn a graduate certificate should apply for the certificate no later than the semester prior to graduation.