Jamyle Cannon is a graduate of the UK College of Social Work, founder of the non-profit The Bloc, and a CNN Hero. A native of Lexington, Ky., Cannon inspires young students at his Chicago-based boxing... Read More
By Harriett Hendren With a critical shortage in Kentucky’s child welfare workforce, the need for child welfare social workers is high. To help fill that demand for qualified professionals, the UK College of Social Work... Read More
By Harriett Hendren Legendary folk singer and songwriter Jean Ritchie graduated from the University of Kentucky College of Social Work in 1946 and was employed as a social worker in New York before gaining international... Read More
LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 7, 2019) — Social work is all about making a difference, and this spring we recognized inspiring heroes who tackle social issues in communities across the Commonwealth. They were honored at the... Read More
LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 5, 2019) — Kalea Benner, who has served as director of undergraduate studies at the College of Social Work since 2015, has been named the new associate dean for academic and student... Read More
Congratulations to the UK College of Social Work students who made the Spring 2019 Dean's List! Check out the entire list here: Karen Amburgey Jacquelyn Claire Appel Bailee M. Barker Cassandra Haley Barton Daniel Michael... Read More
By Lindsey Piercy LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 29, 2019) — Justin “Jay” Miller has been selected as the next dean of the College of Social Work (CoSW) at the University of Kentucky, pending approval by the... Read More
Congratulations to Athena Kheibari who successfully defended her doctoral dissertation “Suicide Attitudes and Terror Management Theory” on May 21. The dissertation committee included Julie Cerel as chair, Jay Miller, Chris Flaherty, Laura Frey, and Nancy... Read More
University of Kentucky College of Social Work professor Julie Cerel was presented a University Research Professorship Award at a reception hosted by President Eli Capilouto at Maxwell Place on April 30. The award amount is... Read More
Outstanding Students were recognized when the College of Social Work hosted the Honors and Awards Ceremony on Thursday, April 25 at the Gatton Student Center. The following students were honored: BASW Outstanding Students: Dana Hays,... Read More
By Lindsey Piercy It’s the day that will be forever etched in our hearts and memories. Most likely, you can still recall the exact moment — the moment when it seemed as if time stood... Read More
Congratulations to associate professor Natalie Pope for her nomination for the 2019 Excellent Undergraduate Research Mentor Award! This student-nominated award recognizes UK faculty members who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to mentoring undergraduate researchers, provided... Read More
Abigail Latimer, UK HealthCare social worker and researcher in the University of Kentucky College of Social Work, is the recipient of the 2019 Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice granted by the Social Work Hospice... Read More
On Friday, the University of Kentucky College of Social Work will honor distinction in the College of Social Work at the Evening of Excellence, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gatton Student Center Ballroom.... Read More
The UK College of Social Work established a partnership with the Department of Defense (DoD) in October 2016 to develop clinical social workers to fill positions across the military service branches. On Friday, the program... Read More
By Harriett Hendren and Lindsey Piercy Monday LEXINGTON, Ky. (March 11, 2019) — It’s a staggering statistic — 47,000 people in the United States die every year by suicide. As that number continues to rise,... Read More
By Harriett Hendren. Students, faculty, and staff at the College of Social Work will travel to the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort on Thursday for Social Work Lobby Day. The daylong event will include committee... Read More
LEXINGTON, Ky. (March 4, 2019) — Did you know, suicide is the 10th-leading cause of death in the United States? In fact, 47,000 Americans die by suicide every year. Julie Cerel knows the numbers by heart, because... Read More
By Harriett Hendren Feb. 19, 2019 LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 19, 2019) — While the current overall employment landscape has recently improved, opportunities for young adults transitioning from foster care remains a challenge. Research shows that foster youth... Read More
Alana Copas, an undergraduate in the UK College of Social Work, received the Still We Rise award at a banquet on Thursday at the Gatton Student Center Ballroom. She was among five finalists honored at... Read More
UK College of Social Work alum Virginia Bell writes in the Lexington Herald-Leader about her experience from the other side of care-giving. Read more… Read More
UK College of Social Work professor Dr. Julie Cerel writes about suicide prevention in the Lexington Herald-Leader. “Kentucky can do more to prevent suicides. It will take resources and a plan.” Read the article here. Read More
Congratulations to these students for their outstanding academic performance for the Fall 2018 semester. To make the Dean’s List in the College of Social Work students must have a grade point average of at... Read More
By Harriett Hendren Dr. Karen Lawrence of the UK College of Social Work has been selected as a scholar in the university’s Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH) program. The program, supported by... Read More
LEXINGTON, Ky. By Harriett Hendren (Nov. 13, 2018) — While most patients dial 911 for emergencies, there are a quite a few who have a habit of making unnecessary calls — for something as simple as falling out... Read More
Contact: Xana Plum Phone/Email: 859-257-6654 | email@example.com Lexington, KY. (October 17, 2018). A new book co-authored by Jay Miller, associate dean for research and associate professor, is a how-to manual that provides a structured framework... Read More
Lexington, KY. (September 12, 2018). The Board of Directors for the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) announced that Jay Miller, associate dean of research and associate professor in the College of Social Work, has... Read More
In Loving Memory of Irma Sarett Rosenstein 08-29-1922 — 11-06-2015 featuring Fania Davis - Social Justice Activist Healing Our Children and Communities through Restorative Justice and Social Work 2:00PM — 4:00PM September 27, 2018 The... Read More
- UK Women’s Forum Board Wants to Hear From You 08/05/2019The 2019-20 Women's Forum invites the university community to provide input for programming in the upcoming year.
- Ticket Information for 'A Conversation with Trevor Noah' Now Available 07/15/2019Tickets are free to UK students and employees with a valid UK ID, and are required for entry. Students may obtain tickets beginning 9 a.m. today (July 15). Tickets will be available to employees beginning July 29 and the public Aug. 5
- UK Alumni Association Announces Service Awards 07/03/2019UK Alumni Association annually presents Distinguished Service Awards and the Joseph T. Burch Young Alumni Award to honor and recognize those who have devoted a great deal to UK, its students and the Alumni Association.
- UK Alum Named CNN Hero for Helping Chicago Youth 'Fight for Success' 07/03/2019A University of Kentucky alumnus is receiving national attention for his efforts to help at-risk youth in Chicago, Illinois.
- 2 UK Employees Inducted Into Lexington Fairness Hall of Fame 06/28/2019UK alumnae Carol Taylor-Shim, director of Bias Incident Support Services, and Reinette Jones, special collections librarian and African American studies academic liaison for UK Libraries, will be inducted into the Lexington Fairness Hall of Fame at tonight's awards ceremony.
- From Free Speech to Kinship Care, UK Experts Explain New Kentucky Laws 06/27/2019It's been 90 days since the Kentucky General Assembly closed the 2019 session, which means several new laws will go into effect across the Commonwealth today. Here is a list of the laws that University of Kentucky experts believe will have the most impact on Kentuckians.
- College of Social Work Names New Dean 05/29/2019Justin "Jay" Miller has been selected as the next dean of the College of Social Work at the University of Kentucky, pending approval by the UK Board of Trustees.
- More Than $1 Million Raised During One Day for UK 05/09/2019In 24 hours, UK received $1,068,758 from 3,262 gifts, including 450 gifts from first-time donors and nearly 600 gifts from faculty and staff — according to Sarah Fitzgerald, associate director of annual giving.
- Watch Live as UK Celebrates Largest Graduating Class Ever 05/03/2019To view the livestream of UK's Commencement ceremonies, click the image above. Congratulations to our May 2019 graduates!
- UK Board Awards 16 University Professorships for 2019-20 05/01/2019The University Research Professors Program recognizes excellence across the full spectrum of research, scholarship and creative endeavors within each college that nominates a faculty member.